Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Introducing .......

This is a blog for Debi Brim's IUPUI project for class W200. The "About Me" page is not what I would want on here but blogger has pulled the "About Me" info from my business blog into this blog. I'm fearful of changing it because I do not want the info on my business blog changed to reflect a casual classroom format, so I'm leaving it as is. I welcome ANY input on how to have two different "About Me" profiles on two different blogs!

Here is my Business Blog: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/

After 30 years in the wedding cake and catering business, I retired at the age of 51 and enrolled at IUPUI to obtain a history teaching degree. It's been 20-25 years since I've been a student in a classroom, although I've been on the teaching side of it a number of times in my Corporate America positions throughout the years.

I've been involved in the school systems through mentor programs, Junior Achievement and speaking to various classes on Indiana History. As a volunteer with my hometown tourism bureau, I learned quite a bit about local history; the kind of stories and drama that are just not found in textbooks

.



My "15 Minutes of Fame" was in 1991 when at the age of 32, I won a "Mrs" Beauty Pageant. It's ok to laugh at the "big hair" look, but it worked for me back then!





I'm also a professional writer. I write a monthly column for a cake decorating magazine that is distributed worldwide, along with onesy-twosy articles for various other publications here and there. My business blog articles have been reprinted in other wedding vendors blogs across the country.

I've been married 22 years to my soul mate, who does stand-up comedy on the side. We have 3 grown children and 2 grandchildren. Two of my children are former military. Eldest daughter served in the Army in Korea in a medical position. My only son served two tours of Iraq as a Marine Sergeant and was awarded the Purple Heart and a second medal for bravery when his vehicle ran over a land mine, and he "disregarded his own wounds to take care of his severely wounded commander" and protected his platoon until reinforcements could arrive to evacuate them. Yes, I'm a very proud mom!

History is my passion and I have a problem understanding how people find history boring. My theory is they were taught wrong. Yes, history can be boring if all you are taught are dates and events. History is full of passion and drama and adventure and stories that have formed our society, our lives and our culture. History illustrates the baby steps we took to get where we are today. It is exciting and entertaining! I hope to bring some of that passion into my teaching style to help students understand the facts AND the fascination!

"To arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man's character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours" ........ Mark Twain

.

9 comments:

  1. full of information and very interesting!
    good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very detailing and alot of information. Very well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your job must be verryyy exciting! I love Cake! That is one thing I would love to learn to do well. It must be a lot of fun and enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi,

    I'm liking the Pink! I checked out your web pages of decorations, SUPERB! Congratulations on being "Mrs. Beauty" just a year ago in 1991! I will totally use you as my cake decor when the big "W" day comes.

    I'm directly related to James Dean on my mother's side, one of my favorite quotes is by him, "Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like cake too and your cakes are fabulous! I love the picture of you even though it is your professional one - awesome! You seem to like to juggle many things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading someones blog who has been somewhere and lived life. You won your beauty pageant the year I was born. I think it is really cool that you have lived a interesting and successful life and you still want to go back to school and do more it is really amazing. This blog really made me think of how many things I still have left to do in my life and how the possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is very well put together! I love the colors and how you incorporated a picture in your post. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your blog. It's very easy to follow and full of a lot of interesting information that makes me want to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You blog is very good its really easy to follow and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete